Outside Plant Inspector - Yatahey, NM
Outside Plant Inspector
Location: Yatahey, NM
The OSP Inspector must be qualified to perform field inspections of cable/fiber placement and/or cable/fiber splicing and/or construction work and may pre-survey construction packages when requested. May assist with data preparation, documentation in reporting field results and may include field meetings with contractor and SWC management, as well as construction Contractors. This is a fulltime position that will report to the Director of Engineering.
- Inspects new and existing aerial and buried facilities, construction, and/or properties for conformance.
- Participates in meetings; meets with potential developers and the general public; assists with permitting and construction processes.
- Serves as inspector-in-charge of a construction or repair project; including reviewing the work of consulting inspectors.
- Coordinates with OSP construction for requirements.
- Provides photos and sketches of poles as required.
- Measures installed conduit and enters in MAPCOM system.
- Provides as-built print with redlines, conduit footages and fiber sequentials.
- Meets with customers and investigate complaints relating to right-of-way discrepancies, damages, etc.
- Investigates errors that could cause material discrepancies between OSP records and placed facilities; assists in reconciling the differences.
- Verifies OSP construction contractor billing, note changes from design and billing info.
- Performs pole inspection checks, makes judgement on placing new pole or reinforcing old pole.
- Verifies wire center information, pole numbers, class, and size of pole that was inspected.
- Performs quality inspections for all contracts.
- Follows up to ensure that work is performed in accordance with permit.
- Other duties as requested by management.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, IT, or other related field preferred; High School diploma or GED equivalent allowed.
- Must be dependable self-starter, able to work unsupervised in fast-paced, outdoor environment.
- Thorough knowledge of accepted telco engineering practices. (5+ years’ experience).
- Thorough knowledge of aerial and buried cable placement and splicing methods - copper and fiber. (5+ years’ experience).
- Thorough knowledge of Engineering and Construction Practices.
- Thorough knowledge of and 5+ years’ experience with telecom OSP and construction.
- Ability to track, prioritize, & monitor multiple projects simultaneously & meet deadlines.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to navigate Google Earth, MAPCOM, and GIS.
- Ability to identify existing OSP by type, size, etc.
- 5+ years’ experience in Field engineering, inspection practices, basic design criteria for construction projects, and methods for correcting violations.
- Ability to make complex, time sensitive field decisions related to projects and field engineering.
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment/decisions within procedural guidelines.
- Team player with well-developed interpersonal skills who is comfortable in a cross-functional, multi-cultural environment and is effective in working relationships with those encountered in daily work.
- Knowledge of proper safety practices.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other telecommunication software.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to legally work in the USA.
- Current/valid driver’s license.
This job specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may require having specific job-related knowledge and skills. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on business needs and conditions. Sacred Wind Communications Inc. complies with the Navajo Preference in Employment Act and EEO. Sacred Wind Communications Inc. is An Equal Opportunity Employer and provider.